The Definition of RELAX:
- To make less tense, rigid, or severe
- To relieve from tension or strain
- To reduce in intensity
TIPS, HINTS & INSPIRATION:
Read July’s article by Renee Moorefield, member of the GWI Advisory Board and CEO of Wisdom Works Group, and learn how to use RELAX as a springboard to inspire your participation in the powerful global movement: The Wellness Moonshot: A World Free of Preventable Disease.
Here are a few tips excerpted from the article:
Work with instead of against circadian rhythms. Ask people to organize their day into chunks of focused work punctuated by rest periods. Go for a walk following long meetings, and take a dedicated lunch break rather than work through a meal. Pause regularly for one of these conscious breaths, or set a calendar reminder to refresh the body and brain.
Make sleep an organizational priority. Make sleep-friendly practices, such as work-free vacations, meeting schedules that are time zone-aware, circadian lighting, and progressive email policies, part of your organizational culture.
Master your sleep. Experiment with different sleep protocols, such as timing your sleep properly, engaging in optic flow, using sunlight and sunset to assist the melatonin and cortisol release required for high-quality rest, and capitalizing on how you eat and exercise.
Engage your vision. Allow your eyes to close and your eyeballs to sink back into their sockets. Take a few deep breaths, inviting the muscles around your eyes to relax. Or try focusing on a point in front of you, such as a leaf on a tree or a spot on a wall. Let your gaze soften and widen, becoming more aware of the periphery of your environment. This peripheral or “panoramic” vision activates neural pathways that tell your brain and body to relax.
Explore a relaxation strategy that’s new for you. Laugh, bathe in a forest, enjoy feel-good music, sigh, savor this moving art, practice yoga nidra, get a massage, or choose another restorative practice.
WITH OUR UNCERTAINTIES ABOUT THE FUTURE, RELAXING CAN FEEL COUNTERCULTURAL; HOWEVER…
We believe creating cultures that value relaxation at work and home is our collective opportunity for growth. The Wellness Moonshot: A World Free of Preventable Disease is here to support you. Tell us a story using #wellnessmoonshot on social media about how you are making relaxation a priority; we’ll spread your inspiration worldwide. And remember to join the GWI’s Wellness Moonshot celebration on July 23 to connect and learn from others!
Next month, we’ll touch on what it means to intentionally PREPARE, to ready yourself as a wellness leader. Until then, check out each of these Wellness Moonshot articles from past years with invaluable insights and strategies for your wellness leadership journey.
- Read about additional science and practices to help you relax, renew and get healthy sleep.
- Check out the Global Wellness Institute’s Sleep Initiative to learn more about sleep as the foundation of health, wellbeing and disease prevention.
- Explore other GWI Initiatives, such as Massage Makes Me Happy, Salt & Halotherapy, Hot Springs, Hydrothermal, Sound Wellness, and Yoga Therapy.
- Learn about the sleep trends emerging globally, along with the underestimated effects of sleep deprivation.
- Dive into the scientific studies about relaxation therapy techniques for eliminating tension in the body and promoting a peaceful state of mind.
- Download the report: Focus Shifts from Sleep to True Circadian Health.
- Learn more about true circadian health in this Global Wellness Summit trend.
- Become a global strategic partner of The Wellness Moonshot: A World Free of Preventable Disease.
- Customize The Wellness Moonshot resources: Contact Kendra Kobler ([email protected]) for specific ways to tailor The Wellness Moonshot branding assets and educational materials to meet the needs and aspirations of your company, community or country.