Hot Springs Initiative Resources
The Hot Springs Initiative intention is to connect the global community of hot springs and geothermal resources by raising awareness of this unique and distinct segment of global recreation, health and tourism industry (community). The following are a list of helpful resources.
Hot Spring Initiative Conferences
- Australia: Australasian Spa and Wellness Association Annual Conference (ASPA)
- Canada: CanGea
- Czech Republic: MinWat
- France: European Thermal Meeting
- Hungary: Budapet Water Conference
- Italy: Flowpath – National Meeting on Hydrology Italy
- Italy: 2015 FEMTEC Congress
- Japan: International Society of Medical Hydrology and Climatology (ISMH)
- Peru: World Geothermal Energy Conference
- United States: Hot Springs Connection, 4-8 November 2019
- United States: Hot Springs Connection, 7-9 November, 2018
- Global: Think GeoEnergy
- Global: Geothermal Energy Association
- Global: Global Thermal Think Tank, China & Japan 2019
- Global: Global Thermal Think Tank, Italy 2018
- Global: Global Thermal Think Tank, United States 2017
- Global: Global Thermal Think Tank, Germany 2016
Hot Springs Initiative Books
Healing With Water: English Spas and The Water Cure, 1840-1960
Jane M. Adams, 2015
Hiking Hot Springs in the Pacific Northwest Evie Litton and Sally Jackson; FalconGuides, 2014
Touring Hot Springs Montana and Wyoming Jeff Birkby; FalconGuides, 2013
Hot Springs and Hot Pools of the Northwest (Kindle Edition) Marjorie Gersh-Young; Aqua Thermal Access, 2013
Hot Springs of Western Washington Jesse W. Love; Kaleidoscope Publications, 2013
Hot Springs: Images of America Robert K. Raines; Arcadia Publishing, 2013
Touring Hot Springs California and Nevada Matt C. Bischoff; FalconGuides, 2012
Touring Colorado Hot Springs Susan Joy Paul and Carl Wambach; FalconGuides, 2012
Hot Springs & Hot Pools of the Southwest: Jayson Loam’s Original Guide Marjorie Gersh-Young; Aqua Thermal Access, 2011
Health and Wellness Tourism: Spas and Hot Springs Patricia Erfurt-Cooper and Malcolm Cooper; Channel View Publications, 2009
Geothermal Living Örn Daniel Jónsson, 2009
Spas & Hot Springs of Mexico “Mexico” Mike Nelson, 2008
Touring New Mexico Hot Springs Matt C. Bischoff; FalconGuides, 2008
Hot Springs and Hot Pools of the Northwest: Jayson Loam’s Original Guide Marjorie Gersh-Young; Aqua Thermal Access, 2008
Geothermal Thermal: An Alternative Resource for the 21st Century Harsh Gupta and Sukanta Roy; Elsevier, 2007
A Guide to Japanese Hot Springs Sally Jackson; Raupo Publishing (NZ) Ltd., 2006
Geothermal Energy Resources for Developing Countries D. Chandrasekharam and J. Bundschuh; Swets & Zeitlinger, 2002
Stories from a Heated Earth, Our Geothermal Heritage Raffaele Cataldi, Geothermal Resources Council and International Geothermal Association ; Geothermal Resources Council, 1999
A Guide to Japanese Hot Springs Anne Hotta and Yoko Ishiguro; Kodansha America, 1986
Hot Springs Initiative Presentations
- 2019 World Spa & Wellness Asia Convention – The Rise of Hot Springs Charles Davidson
- 2016 GWS Mexico – Asia Hot Spring Industry overview Sam Foster
- 2016 Austria Hot Springs Forum Global Wellness Institute
- 2014 Australasian Spa Conference – Indigenous People Connection with Kwatye Dean Ah Chee
- 2014 Australasian Spa Conference – Hot Springs Health and Wellbeing Peter Sharplin
- 2014 Australasian Spa Conference – Challenges in spa evolution Peter Sharplin
- 2014 Australasian Spa Conference – Witjira National Park South Australia Dean Ah Chee
- 2014 Australasian Spa Conference – The Power of Hot Springs for Healthy Communities Marion Schneider
- 2014 Australasian Spa Conference – Germany Global trends in thermal waters and hot springs Jane Kitchen
- 2014 Australasian Spa Conference – Creating a Wellness Industry Marion Schneider
- 2013 GWS India – Tibetan Medical Institute Hot Spring Dharamshala
Hydro-Thermal Therapies are Essential for Building Health, Safety and Resilience in the Age of Pandemics
This position paper has been prepared to express and demonstrate why hydrothermal experiences should play an important active role in this time of global pandemic. It was written by Professor Marc Cohen in collaboration with members of the Global Wellness Institute Hydrothermal Initiative and members of the Hot Springs Initiative. Professor Marc Cohen is one of the founding members of the Hot Springs Initiative. Thank you Marc and all contributors including the authors of the many reference papers.
We encourage discussion, comments and correspondence on this topic and ask that you direct your thoughts to Professor Cohen at [email protected]
Hot Springs View Dials
The “dial” below is an interactive inforgraphic which helps the user find hot springs locations in various countries. View dials have been created for: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, India, Iran, Japan, New Zealand and United States. They can and will be generated for other countries in the future. The intention of these dials is to help create awareness that there are hot springs all over the globe and to seed in the minds of hot springs visitors that they can include hot springs in their travel itineraries.
How to use the interactive Hot Springs view dial: Below is the view dial for Australia. You will see that each arrow that goes from the center map to the outside circle represents a hot springs property. The name of the hot springs property is given on the arrow as is the distance and directions from your starting point (“datum point”) to other hot springs all over the globe. The “datum point” hot springs is marked in red on the maps. While this example infographic for Australia that you are seeing is not “clickable,” you can download a PDF file version and then you will be able to reach the websites of each of these hot springs properties.
Click on the country view dial to download the high resolution PDF file. Each Hot Springs property on the view dial will have an embedded link to its website.
Studies/Reports – Other hot springs industry information
- 2019 Balneotheraphy-Brochure Balneotheraphy Care in Spas and Health Resorts in Europe
- 2019 The Great Victorian Bathing Trail Matt Sykes, Victorian Tourism Industry Council & Lynette Bergin, Fellowship Recipient 2018
- 2018 Global Wellness Economy Monitor, October 2018 Global Wellness Institute
- 2018 Guide to Hydrothermal Spa & Wellness Development Standards Members of the Hydrothermal Initiative
- 2017 Initiative Briefing Paper Members of the Hot Springs Initiative
- 2016 Soaking Up History…Steaming into the Hot Springs “R” Evolution Session Summary Hot Springs Initiative
- 2015 Hot Springs & Geothermal Mineral Waters: A User’s Guide for the Global Wellness Traveler Hot Springs Initiative
- 2014 The Thermal/Mineral Springs Economy Global Wellness Institute
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
The following is a collection of research, practices and thoughts on how to work through this time of crisis and change. This information has been provided by generous and gracious members of our global hot springs community.
Immune Boosting Research and Practices at Hot Springs – COVID-19
- 2021 EVALUATION OF THE POST-COVID PROGRAMME EFFECTS IN THE ENSANA REHABILITATION AND HEALTH FACILITY, MARIÁNSKÉ LÁZNĚ ING. VĚRA MARKOVÁ , MUDR. LADISLAV ŠPIŠÁK CSC. SPA AND BALNEOLOGY INSTITUTE / MUDR. RŮŽENA VAŇKOVÁ BC. DOMINIK MACH ENSANA / HEALTH SPA MARIÁNSKÉ LÁZNĚ A.S.
- 2021 A narrative review of the effects of balneotherapy on human immune response M. C. Maccarone, G. Magro, U. Solimene, A. Scanu, S. Masiero
- 2020 Balneology-immunology – September 2020 University of Padua, Italy
- 2020 Stress and the Immune System Tracy B. Herbert
- 2020 Coronavirus: WHO gives advice on how to boost your health to fight Covid-19 WHO
- 2020 What is a healthy lifestyle? WHO
- 2020 Healthy living: What is a healthy lifestyle? WHO
- 2020 Turning up the heat on COVID-19: heat as a therapeutic
intervention Marc Cohen
- 2020 Immune Boosting Programs Amanda Wilson
- 2020 Immune Boosting Aroma Bathing at Hot Springs Theme Rains Synthesis
- 2020 Immune Boosting Practices at Hot Springs and Related Research
- 2020 Immune Boosting Programs at Hot Springs
Hot Spring Operating Procedures in Times of Viral Outbreaks – COVID-19
Operating procedures are living evolving documents based on the best knowledge we have at any moment of time in what is a very fluid environment. Please see the date on the document to understand how current it is.
- 2020 – Germany Two-Stage Plan of the European Waterpark Association E.V. for the Reopening of Waterpark and Spas
- 2020 – USA Spa Reopening Toolkit(be sure to click on each blue link to see the detailed descriptions) ISPA
- 2020 – Australia Peninsula Hot Springs COVID-19 Operations Management, March 31, 2020
- 2020 – China Guideline for Chongqing Hot Springs Enterprises, March 2020
- 2020 – Austria Austrian Hot Springs Hotel Operating Procedures during COVID-19, April 2020
- 2020 – Global COVID-19: Hygiene and Cleaning Tips for Hydrothermal Areas
- 2020 – USA Considerations for Public Pools, Hot Tubs, and Water Playgrounds During COVID-19
Trends and Opportunities in a Time of Change – Opinion Pieces – COVID-19
Hot Springs & Geothermal Mineral Waters: A User’s Guide for the Global Wellness Travler
This user’s guide, published by the Global Wellness Institute and written by Ed Moffett and Amy McDonald, was created to help wellness travelers grasp the value of, and more specifically learn facts about, participating in hot springs bathing.
DOWNLOAD FREE COPY
Using natural thermal and mineral waters as a healing approach–which is studied medically as balneotherapy–has a history of over 4,000 years, and is used all over the world as part of traditional therapies. It includes not only hot and mineral springs bathing, but mud packs/treatments and drinking and inhalation therapies.
Global Thermal Think Tanks (G3T)
Each year before and after the Global Wellness Summit, hot springs owners, operators, senior managers and researchers from across the globe discuss a range of industry issues and opportunities to collaborate and grow together.
Hot Springs Initiative Organizations
The Hot Springs Initiative strives to connect the community of global hot springs. If there is a hot spring organization you feel should be included on this list, or if this list needs to be corrected in any way, please send us an email.
The Global Wellness Institute serves as an umbrella organization for numerous Initiatives, that are independently chaired and run. The resources, editorial, research and opinions presented by the Initiatives do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Global Wellness Institute.